Tuesday, May 26, 2009

RIP: Forest Terry Jr.



I decided to start off my new blog 'The Next Ball Game' with a tribute to a local Boston musician, inventor, and friend, Forest Terry Jr. Forest passed away February 7th, 2009.

I first heard about Forest Terry through another collector who sells records from Lotusland Records. I picked up the amazing 45 'Branch N Out' b/w 'Satellite Love', and played it many times. Here are the two sides, direct from the 45.





After buying the 45 I found out that Forest Terry was a local Boston artist, and was still around. A friend hooked me up with his number, and I got him to come in to my radio show for an interview. Take a listen for yourself:




That interview was incredible. Forest brought out a ton of treats and was full of stories. Forest Terry invented the Keytar! He was even awarded a patent, not an easy feat. Apparently, he worked with a local synth company, and a local guitar crafter to create his vision. Listen to the full interview for the details.

Also, Forest was a member of the local group Black Sheep Of The Family (I'll cover them in a future blog post). This interview was instrumental in tracking down Bili Sparrow, one of the founders of Black Sheep of the Family. Through this interview I tracked down Chip Allen also from Black Sheep, and he had some leads on tracking down Sparrow. Both Bili and Chip reconnected with Forest before his death, which I was proud to be able to help with.

Among the treats Forest brought out to the radio station during the interview were this video, which I uploaded to YouTube:


Also, and amazingly, he brought out some unreleased extended mixes of both sides of the 45.


Rest In Peace, Forest Terry Jr. Inventor of the Keytar!

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, any chance of re-upping those extended mixes? Really need to hear them!

    Sam
    www.ishfaq.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the Athens of the North reissue of the Satellite 7 inch single and like many before me, judging by your high praise, I have fallen in love with his music.

    In the highly unlikely event you ever return to this blog, I would love to hear the extended mixes of Satellite Love and Branch In Out as I can imagine they are even more soulful, psychedelic and spaced out than the 7 inch versions of the two tracks.

    ReplyDelete